#7: A Call to Simplicity

Understanding #7 calls members of the community to a life of simplicity, "to enjoy beauty without owning or possessing," and to release the culturally induced craving for possession and accumulation of material objects.  On one occasion, at least, I remember this Understanding leading to a discussion regarding the possession and use of technological "toys," iphones, tablets, and the like.  For those of us with the means to purchase and the ability to utilize these implements, it would seem that they are becoming the norm for daily life.  

I do remember, however, my trip to the electronics store to purchase the laptop on which I am writing this blog post.  While my dissertation was progressing well, its original computer was fading, and I needed to keep going on a machine I could count on.  The sales clerk took me around to the machines that met most of my requirements, but most also had "bells and whistles" that I didn't need, and didn't want to pay for.  Then I noticed a row of laptops on the far side of the display area.  Plain, black boxes, no frills, just the ability to do basic writing and computational functions, and get out to the internet.  SOLD!  Staying focused on needs, not wants, and persisting until I found what I needed, and no more, seemed to win the day.  

The line in this Understanding that I truly love, though, is this one: "There is a beauty in space, in openness, in solitude."  Therein lies my deepest sense of simplicity.  To be willing to have nothing, do nothing, fret about nothing, simply be present to the moment, in solitude and appreciation, to offer lovingkindness to myself and others, that is the great gift of simplicity at the hermitage.  I suspect the idea of simplicity means  different things to different people -- I would love to hear comments from others on what this means to you.

Comments

  1. Wonderful , Beth. The idea of enjoying needs fulfilled rather than wants is so appealing. And quite difficult to be there when surrounded all the time with such pressures everywhere to "consume". I am at last doing what I have longed to do most of my life...spending the greater part of my time painting...and learning how! Other things are simply unimportant to me, after years of children and home acquisition! I am so grateful to learn about your beautiful simplicity and spiritual life...it is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sometimes seems like certain stages of life permit, or call us to, a fresh understanding of simplicity. Devoting yourself to your paintings, which are wonderful, is one lovely way of simplifying your life. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments here.