Practices: Community

How does one "practice" community?  And how important is community in the life of a hermit?  I would suggest that it is at least as important as the practice of prayer itself, and for this hermit, it is a practice that is one of conscious intentionality.

I had an opportunity to practice conscious community this past weekend, when several members of the Lindisfarne Community gathered to consider the relationship between the New Monasticism which we follow, and a new way of being as priests, which many of us are developing in our own forms of ministry. 

As part of the weekend we ordained one among us as a priest of the community, and that was a joyous occasion.  Leading up to it were times of praying the offices, sharing meals, updating each other on our lives and ministries, and walking through the Cornell Plantations, savoring a fall day with subtle colors and a gentle nip in the air.  On Sunday morning our newest priest led us in the Eucharist, sealing the sacramental gift he had received the previous day.

It was affirming, it was joyful, it was grounding, and it was exhausting.  Not for nothing have I designated my home a hermitage of the community.  It is, and remains, a sanctuary of peace for my husband and myself, and I was glad to see it again on Sunday evening. 

The discipline of being in community demands that I leave that sanctuary from time to time, not merely for my work but to take my place in the councils of the community.  To listen deeply, share wisely, offer support and prayer and thoughtful response to my brothers and sisters.  To contemplate both the present and the future of the community as we change and grow.  They have made room for me; I must participate in making room for others.

Understanding #8 tells us that we are to be faithful to the community, embracing the test that community will provide.  The challenge of being present to so many others, each with their own needs and concerns and loves, is my present test of community.  There are many among us who "do community" very well indeed, and I learn from them every time we gather.  I strive to embrace the tests, embrace the community, and embrace the models who show me how to love more and more deeply.  Blessed be.


Comments