Hermitage as Refuge

One portion of my contemplative practice has included a form of lectio divina, the slow, ruminative reading of Scripture which St. Benedict taught to his monks.  Of late I have been reading the Psalms, which early Celtic and Benedictine monks were known to read through on daily, weekly, or monthly rotations -- all 150 of them!

Of necessity, I am reading much more slowly, patiently reading a verse or two, maybe three, just enough to discern a single thought within the text, and then applying that thought -- a question, a heartache, a prayer of praise -- to my own life with God.  The word that has been coming up frequently in this time of contemplation is "refuge."  Ps 141:8, "I seek refuge in You (G-d), do not put me in jeopardy."  Ps 142:6, "You (G-d) are my refuge, all I have in the land of the living."

A bit of online investigation shows that the Hebrew words here vary, but they all point to the ideas of safety, shelter, protection, things that I often look for in other things beside God.  My husband, my job, my friends, my house -- my hermitage.  In our human aspect we need these externals to house our bodies and shield our hearts from too much exposure to the elements that would wear us down and leave us raw.

But "refuge..." it sounds so Buddhist!  Buddhists take refuge in the Three Jewels of Buddha, dharma, and sangha. Can I imagine transforming my practice of taking refuge in my hermitage and my "lifestyle" and turning solely to God for safety, protection, shelter?  It sounds so risky!

For now, I will ruminate on the word "refuge," seeing other sources of safety and shelter as both the valued and necessary elements of my life that they are, and also as symbols of the protection that ultimately comes from God.  All others may change, or disappear one day, as indeed they have in my past experience.  God is the only constant, and to God I will give my thanks.

Comments