A Hermit and her Buddy

Six years ago today we brought this timid little creature home with us.  I'd always had dogs, and my husband hadn't had good luck with cats, but this guy needed a home, and we decided to give it a whirl.

As you can see here, this fellow has made himself more than "at home" with us.  After a few days he decided that we were, in fact, going to be faithful with feeding, comforting, and cleaning up after him, and he soon began to rule the roost.

I don't know if this is normal for all cats,  but his favorite place is on a lap.  He's particularly happy when I have a "work at home" day - he gets to occupy my lap while I'm doing research, writing, and revising, something I expect to be doing more of in the coming year. 

Second to laps is some place warm -- you can't see the fireplace in this picture, but he can feel it.  He often curls up in the warm blanket on the bed for his "morning nap," and can frequently be found under the dining room buffet table, which just happens to be in front of the baseboard heater.  He's also fond of appropriating my meditation cushion as soon as I get up - I must warm it up just right for him.  And his favorite night time spot, unless it's terribly hot in summer, is under the blankets, curled up against my ribs.

Why do I share all this?  Only to say that in spite of pain and loss and suffering, even at the beginning of a year when many of us are deeply concerned about the ways of the world, it is worth while to pause and be thankful for a small, soft, affectionate being who is willing to be my cheerful companion - as long as I remember to feed him on time!  His former name was "Mr. Peanut," but for quite a while now, he has been my little "Buddy."  Happy New Year, Buddy, and blessings to all in 2017.

Comments