Please pray for...

How many times has someone you know asked for prayers?  For themselves, for a friend, in illness or crisis or loneliness, or for the deep, troubling events of the world at large... and a loving heart always responds, "Yes, I will pray."  And then what?  How do we pray?  How do we join the intentions of our hearts with the needs of so many others?

For a long time I kept a small notebook in my purse.  Each time prayers were requested I would add the name, the concern, and the date.  Every morning I would take out the notebook, review the names, and lift them to God for whatever resolution God wished for them.  

After some months of this practice, I realized that while prayers were often requested in times of crisis, the resolution for which I was praying was rarely shared.  I never knew what the outcome was, which was not really the issue.  What concerned me was that I never knew when to release the need and move on.  I was fairly certain that someone's cancer had either been treated, or the person had died, but how do you call or email the prayer-requester to ask?  The alternative, of course, is to let the list increase, knowing that prayer is never wasted.  I was reminded of an old priest friend who once observed that many Episcopalians must be lost at sea -- so many prayers were requested for safe travel, but no thanksgivings offered for safe return!

I am praying the Metta prayer as part of my Daily Office just now, and I am finding it to be an excellent practice for intercessory prayer.  Here is the version I use:

May all beings be peaceful.
May all beings be happy.
May all beings be safe.
May all beings awaken to the Light of
their true nature.
May all beings be free.

In place of "all beings," I insert the name of a particular person, or prayer concern.  May "Susie" be peaceful, may "Susie" be free.  It's been wonderful.  First, it slows me down.  I really concentrate on "Susie," and wonder what "peaceful" might mean to her, what "happy," or "safe" or "free" mean for her.  It makes me realize that what I want for "Susie" may not be what's in her best interest, and that my prayer needs to remain open for God to create the freedom, happiness, and enlightenment that is best for her.

Second, it means that my prayer list will be somewhat limited.  I release some things to the prayers of others, remembering that God hears all prayers, not just mine.  And I choose prayerfully which people I will pray for, honoring commitments that feel particularly deep and heart-centered.  Right now I am praying for three people -- one friend, one colleague, and one I've never met.  The list may grow, but right now it feels right to deepen rather than broaden the scope of prayer.

Meanwhile, I am grateful that there are so many others praying for the rest of the world.  Blessings upon us all.  

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I really like this. I've always found it difficult to have an actual practice of prayer, as my conversations to God always feel inauthentic. In recent years, I've come to the awknowledge that all of my thoughts and intentions are very much prayers, if I allow myself to reflect and remember that I am not alone in the ramblings of my mind. About four years ago I took a mindfulness course and was there that I was introduced to the Metta prayer. We also were encouraged to direct the prayer to a specific individual. I love the simplicity of the language, and the immediate sense of gratitude that I had toward my neighbors in life when this was part of my guided practice. Thanks for the reminder... I'm going to try to add this to my daily practice again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found this helpful, Kyle. I am finding it to be a lovely, grounding sort of practice. Be well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments here.